Monday, May 14, 2012

My digital reflection

http://screenr.com/CJK8

#ELLCHCHAT Monday, May 14. 2012.
6:00-7:00 pm.

#ELLCHAT - tonight I "observed a chat in a twitter educational chat ( #ELLCHAT) tonight they were talking about new and different technology ideas for teaching ELLs -supporting home lang and Eng.
They were discussing tech ideas for teaching ELLs and how to use ipads, ipods, smartpens in the classroom.  One of the members of #ELLCHAT is working on national survey of tech in #EARLYED and she was sayingnt at they were finding very few teachers use iPads in class, despite all the news items; also she said that they were surprised that over 90% of classrooms have computer, but other devices are not common, and teachers want prof development; another member of this chat said that they recently had a workshop and that a number of people said they use their smartphones in school often ( against rules!).karen nemeth @KarenNemethEdM"seems many programs have computers, but need other devices because district doesn't let them go online with computers". So - does anyone have example of using smartphone in class (for education purposes. Also, KarenNemethEdM said that  "often a classroom does not have enough computers. There are other devices which are cheaper.
I thought that was interesting  that teachers find so much ed value in smartphones, they are willing to sneak around to use them!.  that's funny, Judie! Because they know they're not supposed to use it, would hide it from a visitor ;) but they are.  and actually there's a way to use smartphones to cast votes or participate in discussion so teacher does control the use .  yes teach them to use Smartphones well AND safely!.  Isn't it great when students ARE the resource.  karen nemeth @KarenNemethEdM
#ELLCHAT I do think that internet access of some kind is necessary, specially for ELLs , if we want our ed system to stay ahead!.
I think it's a shame that phone use is limited in classrooms. .  Had a great discussion today about using phones in class/Facebook. Students agreed it is about responsibility/respect.  Smart phones can also be used as cameras. That lends a whole different dimension to lessons.  I think it is the responsibility of teachers to demonstrate their effectiveness by pre-planning and showing results Don't forget phones can be used to immediately find videos to help clarify info you are trying to convey to ELL. 
@KarenNemethEdM agree still many teachers resistant, too much curriculum to cover too many new initiatives too little time, said Karen Nemeth at the end of the chat.
I liked this chat. I learned that technology is changing the way we teach in the classroom.  Even though some of the technology has not been approved to be used in the classroom, it seems like teachers think it is worth risking to use it in their classrooms. One of the things that still puzeld me is the fact that while doing my CP II none of the teachers would allow the use of a cell phone, they were very strict with the students; if a student dared to take our his/her cellphone to look-up a word, that student would be penalized and punished.  His/her cell hone would be confiscated for the rest of the day.  So really to me is a matter of knowing where and which schools allow the use of technology as an educational tool.  What are the rules? the expectations? 
Answers anyone ???




Visitors and Residents.  Technology Assisted Lifelong Learning by David White.

Juve Rocha  is now a VISITOR; soon to become a RESIDENT.

              The question I asked myself, am I a visitor or a resident?  I can easily answer this question, I am a visitor.   The reasons I am a visitor and not a resident are a few.  One of the reasons I'm a visitor is that by being a visitor I'm in a my comfort zone, I have control over who do I talk to, who do I want to share my thoughts,  my ideas, my concerns with.  When I first started to be more open about the use of technology to create blogs, to twitter, I did  not feel so  much "at home" I felt like my comfort zone may be compromised the  minute I shared my thoughts and everything I put out in the open for others to see and read.  I mostly feel like by being open, I'm allowing my self to be judged by others.  Do not get me wrong I know that technology is the way to go in this day and age, I know I need to change and to move along with it and embrace it and use it to my advantage.  Although, it is out of my comfort zone I think I'm on my way of crossing over the other side,  I'm becoming a "resident".  So, in other words being a visitor to me means safety, comfort, control; while being or becoming a resident means that I need to come out om my comfort zone and explore. Engage in a new way of learning and experience what technology has to offer. I'm very interested, open and excited to explore online learning tools and everything that technology has to offer in order to help me grow in a personal and professional way.

Learning in New Media Environments (read post, watch video, create your own post)

A vision of students today

I would like you to watch this presentation, "Learning in New Media Environments." and write a reflection (as as new blog post) based on this idea: What does this video mean for you as a person, a parent, an educator, and a leader? You can answer any or all of the ideas that apply. 

After watching the video A vision of Students Today I could not help but feel overwhelmed by all the thoughts/comments from the students.  
As an individual this video means that I have to be a multi-tasker in order to address every day challenges.
As a parent it is very uncertain and scary to imagine that probably the teachers that my son has now and might have in the future may no be fully prepared for the challenges of students of the 21st.Century.
As an educator it scares me and most of all it inspires me and challenges me to continue learning to offer students the education they deserve according to the 21 Century. I need to think outside the box outside the walls of a classroom and open the doors to a new world, a world where students can learn about things that they can actually relate to their real life.

As one of the last students' board said "I did not create the problems...but they are MY problems.  It is so true; so it is up to us as educators, parents, person, leaders leave a better world for our children's  future.

Read Part I of Pink.  You will be writing reflections for EDSS 531, so I do not want repeat I don't want to repeat the assignments.  We will do some work with Part II.

Are Grades Necessary for Learning? (reflect on question in a blog post: either in writing, video, or other means)

Are grades necessary for learning?

 
Are Grades Necessary for Learning?
I found this shortened video of Dan Pink on a Washington D.C. television show from Larry Ferlazzo's blog.  As most of you read Pink and I am extremely interested in the concept of learning versus grades (as we have discussed in class), I thought you all might find this interesting. . .
So my question for the class is this:  What would happen if we took grades out of the equation? Would kids learn more or less than they do now? Explain…
            After watching the video of Dan Pink about grades and learning, I found it really interesting because, I believe he is right when he talks about how teachers make grades the point of their class.  As a future educator I would like to create a balance between the performance and the learning goals I have for my students.  Grades should be used as feedback but also, based on that feed back we should be able to know whether or not learning is taking place.  So, if a student (based to his/her performance in class) is getting an “A”, my next step as a teacher is to make sure that student is achieving the learning goal as well.  If we only grade the final product, then we are not giving any importance to the process they went through to obtain it
            Back to your question…If we took grades out of the equation I believe students would learn less.  Grades are like a motivation, a reward for something that students have worked towards to.  If we take that reward, that motivation, that final destination, then I don’t think students have anything to look forward to; therefore, there won’t be any learning. 
Students need to know that there is an objective, a goal they are working towards to. The goal should be a two-part assessment: one, to learn the material and two, to obtain an “A” for their performance. One can’t go with out the other they have to complement each other.  Performance and learning goals as one.

Blog post on Disrupting Class.  The post will be complete by March 12, with peer comments complete before class on March 14.

Chapter 1: Why Schools Struggle to Teach Differently when each Student Learns Differently

1. Explain the difference between interdependence and modularity.  How is education currently organized?  


Chapter 2: Making the Shift:  Schools meet Society’s need

2. Explain the disruptive innovation theory.  What does this have to do with schools?


Chapter 3: Crammed Classroom Computers

3.  Why doesn’t cramming computers in schools work?  Explain this in terms of the lessons from Rachmaninoff (what does it mean to compete against nonconsumption?)


Chapter 4: Disruptively Deploying Computers

4. Explain the pattern of disruption.

5. Explain the trap of monolithic instruction.  How does student-centric learning help this problem?


Chapter 5: The System for Student-Centric Learning

6. Explain public education’s commercial system.  What does it mean to say it is a value-chain business?  How does this affect student-centric learning?

Reflection about the use of iPads in the classroom. 



Write your class visitation reflection.   Students will visit a learning institution that integrates technology into the curriculum and write a blog post (250+ words) reflecting on the experience 


 El Camino High School, Oceanside, California.
March 12, 2012.
Teacher Candidates observe how iPads are integrated in the classroom.  Very excited to learn how I, a could incorporate technology (iPads) into my subject area Spanish.

1.  How was technology integrated into the curriculum?  Do you feel that it promoted student learning?  
           On this day we had the opportunity to observe a math class who was using iPads to prepare for their upcoming California High School Exit Exam (CASHEE). I was not able to see how the iPads were used other than practice and prepare for the exam.  Initially I was very interested in learning how iPads were incorporated into the classroom.; I was not aware of the fact that IPads were only used in math classes, like the one we observed.  Technology, like iPads have an incredible opportunity to enhance student learning.  Looking forward to learn and explore how I can use/incorporate them (iPads) into my content area.

2.   Is there anything you saw that makes this classroom unique?
      What I observed during our visit was the fact that students seem to be comfortable using technology to enhance their learning experience.  I was that students needed little help from their teacher, they were either helping each other or just figuring out a problem by them selves.  

3.  What did you learn and how it relate to the class questions?
      One of the things I learned while visiting this classroom was the fact that the teacher had the opportunity to check each student's progress from his computer; I thought this was incredible, because he could see which student was struggling and which student was doing fine.  If a students was struggling the teacher could come up to him/her individually and see where exactly the student was struggling and offer help and guidance. 
Being able to observe another class was very neat and interesting; but I would have liked to observe class instruction on how to use iPads to enhance student learning experience, other than just seat there and observe them review for a test.  I considered my self a visual learner, I need to see how something is done in order for me learn and understand a new concept or attain new information.  I will explore in more depth the use of the iPads in the classroom, and more specifically, how can I, a Spanish (to be) teacher can use them in the classroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment